Making A Musculoskeletal Diagnosis
Physical Therapy Continuing Education Course – 2.0 hours
Welcome to Rehab Learning Center’s 2 hours online Physical Therapy continuing education course, Making A Musculoskeletal Diagnosis. In this course we examine the steps required to formulate a diagnosis. We then examine how to integrate these steps, including diagnostic accuracy and clinical decision making based on probability of diagnosis existence/non-existence. Specific examples directly applicable to clinical practice are shown and explained.
This course is designed for the practicing clinician. It is an invaluable resource as a “stand alone” directly applicable in the clinic course. We do suggest it as a precursor to our other courses on various regions of the body.
This physical therapy course was written and designed with the intention on direct clinical application. We trust that you will find the Musculoskeletal Diagnosis Course valuable and practical to your clinical practice.
Free Course Introduction Video
- Identify the primary reasons for determining a musculoskeletal diagnosis.
- Be able to determine the steps of the diagnostic process.
- Identify the differences between a reference and gold standard.
- List the differences between sensitive and specific tests.
- Describe how to calculate pre-test probability.
- List the criteria for the extent of pre- to post-test probability shifts (e.g. small, moderate, large).
- List the primary tools utilized to determine study quality in diagnostic accuracy studies.
- List the general difference between good and bad precision.
- Identify the concerns with a cohort diagnostic accuracy study.
- List the reported reason(s) for a patient being diagnosed with a disease.
- List two suggested ‘take-home’ messages from the course.
Michael Reiman, PT, DPT, PhD, MEd, OCS, SCS, ATC, FAAOMPT, CSCS
Rehab Learning Center offers Physical Therapy Workshops in multiple locations. Contact us to have a course sponsored at your site or online.
This course meets the standards for continuing education by most state physical therapy boards. Please contact your state board for details on their specific requirements.
Rehab Learning Center (BOC AP#: P10231) is approved by the Board of Certification, Inc. to provide continuing education to Athletic Trainers.